Monday, July 14, 2008

Handspun, Handknit Bonanza, Part I: Burning Bush

We now return to our regularly scheduled catch-up blogging. In addition to all the spinning that I did earlier this year that I am only now blogging about, I did a bunch of hat-knitting in a (largely unsuccessful) attempt to maintain a net-zero stash intake. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to knit as quickly as I can spin, but I did manage to knock out some hats, which will make some good holiday presents this winter.

This is one of my favorites from the hat bonanza. It's knit out of the Burning Bush Corriedale that I got from Spunky Eclectic back in February this year--one of my first successful wheel-spun yarns. I love the reds, blues, and oranges.


Knitting this hat was quite a struggle, though. I don't remember all the trials and tribulations exactly, but I think that what you see here is probably the fifth incarnation of this hat. I originally started trying to knit a Zeebee and ripped and reknit several times due to fit/gauge issues. When I finally figured out that I didn't have enough yarn for a Zeebee, I switched to a regular ribbed-brim affair. That took a couple more attempts, too, before I hit on a reasonable number of stitches and the correct size.


Still, I'm very happy with the finished object. It's nice and thick and covers the ears, as I think all woolen hats should. And knitting with handspun is so much fun!

Specs:
Yarn: Handspun 2-ply, 4 oz. of "Burning Bush" Corriedale from Spunky Eclectic
Needles: 10.5 Addi Turbo, Brittany Birch DPNs
Pattern: My own--just 2x2 ribbing for 5 or 6 rounds, then stockinette
Recipient: Not sure. I know I said these hats would make good holiday gifts, but I might keep this one for myself because it was such a struggle to knit. Plus, have I mentioned that I love the colors?


Hope everyone had a nice weekend! Happy Bastille Day!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an awesome hat -- I love the colors! Glad that you found the right pattern for the yarn.

7/14/2008 12:34 PM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

That's lovely, perfect for fall!

7/15/2008 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home