Monday, February 04, 2008

Spinny goodness

As promised, over the weekend I took some photos of some of my latest spinning endeavors. The "Burning Bush" singles that I spun up turned into this:


I looooove the finished yarn. It's soft, thick, and I am a big fan of the barberpole effect. I ended up with a little over 100 yards or so of chunky-weight yarn.

The shock of red-on-red that you see in one area is the very end of the yarn, where I ran out of single on one bobbin. The remaining yardage of the longer single I had was all red. I wound the remaining single into a ball on my ball winder, spit-spliced the end of the red section to the end of the single where I had run out of yardage, then continued plying the red section on itself to get the most yardage out of the fiber.


Eeee! Have I mentioned that I love making my own yarn???

My next spinning attempt was 4.4 oz of superwash Shetland roving from Pigeonroof Studios in the "Plum Blossom" colorway. I tried to spin the singles thinner than the Burning Bush fiber, just to experiment. But because my spinning was a bit uneven, one singles was thinner than the other--not by much, but by enough that the finished yarn didn't fluff up as evenly as the Burning Bush yarn.

I'm still happy with the yarn, though. It's about 205 yards of DK-ish weight, venturing into fingering/sock-weight every now and then. This is my second time spinning with Pigeonroof fibers, and I love, love, love her stuff. (I just wish I could catch her shop updates so I could actually get some more!)

Each spinning attempt is really a new adventure--I'm experimenting with spinning at different thicknesses with each new batch of fiber. I'm striving for consistency in my spinning, but because I'm still pretty much a newbie, I never know what I'm going to get. Sometimes this is frustrating, but mostly it's fun.

And, because it needs to be said: all my spinning fun is due entirely to the patience, generosity, and--most importantly--enablement of Teresa of Gramma Knits. Thanks again, Teresa!

Hope everyone had a good weekend! Have a great week!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Those look amazing! the purple is so pretty, but the reds and oranges - those are right up my alley!

2/04/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

They are both lovely! I'm a big fan of the "barber pole" effect too. I've got some Pigeon Roof on the wheel right now myself. Her colors are all so beautiful.

2/04/2008 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home