Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Child's First Socks

One of my 2008 resolutions is to finish some lingering WiPs. A lot of my WiPs have been collecting dust for a while, so I'm trying to get a move on and get them off the needles. One of these WiPs that is now finally an FO is the Child's First Sock from Knitting Vintage Knits.


I started these last summer, just before studying started to heat up for the bar exam. I managed to turn the heel of the first sock before setting the project aside. That single sock languished on my dresser for the rest of the year until I picked it up late in December. I've knit on it off and on since then.

Because there was such a long period of time between when I started the first sock and when I started its pair, I was a victim of my own cleverness (or lack thereof). For some reason, when I knit the first sock, I must have decided that the cuff was plenty long enough at 16 rounds and started on the leg. But when I started the second sock, I followed the pattern directions to the letter and knit a cuff of 20 rounds. *sigh* I haven't decided if I'll try to correct the longer cuff by unraveling or cutting the cast-on edge or not. People at my knitting night said the difference is really negligible, but since I'm giving the socks away and I'm a perfectionist, I might try to fix it.

Aside from the cuff problem, I love everything about these socks. The pattern knits up very nicely and is easy to memorize. The yarn, Fleece Artist Merino Sock, pooled just a little bit, but generally worked really well with the pattern. And of course the yarn is nice and sproingy. I love it!

Pattern: Child's First Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks
Needles: US2 Clover DPNs
Yarn: Fleece Artist Merino Sock, "Raspberry"
Recipient: The Anesthesiologist ("Aspiring Anesthesiologist" no more--she's the real deal now!)
Mods: Fewer pattern repeats in the leg. I think I only did 3 or 4 repeats.

I used to think that the pink of this yarn was eye-searingly bright. But having worked with it for a while, I guess I've gotten used to it and I actually like it quite a lot. These will be going to the Anesthesiologist, who owns pink sneakers. I figure that someone who owns pink sneakers can definitely use pink socks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

those are great! I think 4 rounds is no big deal if you were keeping them for you, but I agree if you decide to rip back! (or add on!)

1/22/2008 11:00 AM  
Blogger twellve said...

i agree, the socks look fantastic. that color makes my mouth water for raspberries... is it spring yet? :)

nice job!

1/22/2008 1:53 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oooh, love them! It's nice to have a pattern that looks good in variegated yarn. Bummer on the cuff - good luck!

1/22/2008 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look fabulous! I still have yet to try Fleece Artist sock yarn, but it sounds like nice stuff.
I always have to make notes when I knit socks (e.g., 72 rounds in leg, etc.). Otherwise, I will completely forget by the time I get to the second one!

1/23/2008 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home