Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Castaway

I actually haven't been spinning for a while--the spindle got set aside for holiday knitting, which I've been cramming into every last minute of free time (which is short in supply). But there was one week back in November when I spun like crazy, trying to make my way through four ounces of BFL fiber that I purchased from the amazing Amy at Spunky Eclectic during her grand opening sale. And here it is!


It's the "Castaway" colorway--a mixture of blues and browns that shaded into beige as I spun it up. Although it's by no means consistent all the way through, I did make an effort to spin as consistently as possible each time I picked up the spindle, and I'm pleased with the results. Unfortunately, I don't have a wpi tool or even a niddy-noddy, so I have no idea how much yardage I have or what the weight of the yarn is. By eyeballing it I'd guess it varies between a DK and a worsted weight (yes, I know that's a lot of variation) with a couple of places that verge on bulky.


The yarn has actually been knit up into a zeebee, which I thought would be best for showing off the yarn. Pictures of that will have to come later, though--the weather has been fairly cloudy and blah (if not downright rainy) this week, and I haven't had time to enlist GPG's help for a photo shoot. The hat is a bit big; I made it big on purpose because I've discovered that I have a relatively small head. What fits on me is tight on most other people. But I think that inconsistencies in the yarn had a bigger impact on my gauge than I had anticipated, which made for a verrrrry loose hat.


I had also hoped to squeeze two hats out of all this spinning--one for my dad and one for my brother, for Christmas gifts--but the Enormous Zeebee that Ate Brooklyn took up too much yarn. I'll have to spin up something else if I want to give more handspun, handknit gifts this year.

But I'm so pleased with the yarn. I love the unique barberpole look of handspun. I hope to knock out some more holiday gift knitting this week so I can go back to spinning soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Such beautiful colors! You made beautiful yarn, Esther.

12/04/2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

it's beautiful! the colors blend really well!

12/04/2007 10:55 AM  
Blogger Marnie said...

It came out beautifully and once knit up, those variations in diameter will probably be less apparent.

As for a niddy noddy, you actually do have one. Take a tape measure, wrap it around your calf from foot to knee and back again. Write that number down.
Now, just skein your yarn around your leg, multiply by the number you got and divide by 36 for your yardage. That's what I've always done :)

12/05/2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

That is really beautiful yarn. I love Zeebee for handspun. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

12/05/2007 7:47 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

First of all, I love your handspun! That is so cool for you to be making things for other people out of it, and the colors are gorgous.

Second, your story on Ravelry, oh my god! I cannot believe someone would say that. Wow! I hope firm people don't act like that when they find out I knit - that would be awful!

12/05/2007 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home