Sunday, November 25, 2007

Truckin' along

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I had a nice holiday filled with lots of knitting and absolutely NO thoughts of work. Although I didn't get as much knitting done as I had hoped (when do I ever?), I'm truckin' along on my holiday gifts and am pretty satisfied with my progress to date. I finished two hats over the holiday and queued up yarn for some felted oven mitts. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible this weekend--rainy, cloudy, clammy, and cold--so pictures of those will have to come later when the sun comes out again.

But I do have a few pictures queued up of a couple things I finished a while ago. I'm almost done with gifts for GPG's family. GPMom is getting a Silk Garden scarf, inspired by Brooklyn Tweed:


If she doesn't like the colors, she can trade her scarf for GPSister's. I was completely out of ideas (and time) to make anything more elaborate for them this year. Luckily, Noro yarn makes even the simplest patterns stunningly beautiful.


GPBrother-in-law is also getting a Noro scarf. It's another shameless rip-off from Brooklyn Tweed:


Instead of Silk Garden for GPBiL, I used two skeins of Noro Iro and size US13 needles. I had never knit with Iro before and I like it a lot--it's nice and thick and squooshy.


The scarf is a little lumpy because I forced myself to knit it Continental-style. I'm an English-style thrower because that's the way I learned, but I want to start doing more colorwork and I know that knitting Continental-style helps a lot for that. I figured a garter-knit scarf would be a good way to practice Continental knitting.

It probably was good practice, but my stitches weren't terribly even and it was a relief to go back to throwing my yarn for the next project. (In the interest of speed, I allowed myself to go back to English-style knitting for the rest of the holiday gifts.) I don't have time these days to do any colorwork, anyway, so Continental knitting and colorwork will have to wait until next year.

Anyway, the scarves are all nice and long and warm, so hopefully they'll be put to good use. I'm still deluding myself into thinking that I can finish GPDad's present--socks--in the near future. We'll see if that actually comes to pass.

Hope everyone has a good week!

3 Comments:

Blogger twellve said...

i like the look of that silk garden scarf! looks really classy. i'm sure she will love it. :)

11/26/2007 3:14 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I have been wanting one of those color change scarves....very nice!

11/27/2007 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those scarves are both beautiful! I've been trying to knit continentally more often, too - and I switched back to english to expedite the holiday gift knitting!

11/29/2007 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home