Monday, September 24, 2007

Silk Garden Goodness

I really enjoy the ever-changing colors of Noro yarns, but I find the colorways a bit much to make a whole sweater out of anything Noro. Accent pieces, though, like scarves? Much more my style.

This scarf from Brooklyn Tweed was particularly inspiring when I was casting about for ideas for Christmas presents for GPG's family. This scarf is for GPG's sister.


Since knitting time is scarcer now than ever before, this year's Christmas presents will be fairly large-gauge items. I need more instant gratification, and I also need quick results. Socks just take up too much time and effort, so my sock yarn stash is relegated to languishing in the corner for the time being.

Fortunately, though, for scarves like these, the yarn does 90% of the heavy lifting in making a beautiful finished product.


The aspect of Noro yarn that particularly intrigues me is how the skeins include colors that I'd never wear by themselves and makes those colors wearable by combining them (often in unusual blends) with other colors. I also how love two different Noro colorways can play off each other and make the finished object even more beautiful than the individual skeins of yarn.

I'm such a fan of the Silk Garden goodness that I bought two more colorways of Noro (two skeins each) for a scarf for GPG's mom. It's almost done, so pictures of that will come eventually.

Totoro reluctantly agreed to be my scarf model:


Thanks, Totoro! (I got him on my last trip to Japan to visit the Chairpeople. I love him.)

And GPG very kindly took some time this weekend to help me take some nice pictures of my latest projects, which we then prettied up in Photoshop. Thank to him, I actually have something to post about. Thank you, GPG!

Hope everyone has a good week! It's hard to believe September is practically over! Time is really flying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

did you only use 2 skeins for that scarf? I have 2 laying around that I"m not sure what to do with - they are the same colorway though....

9/24/2007 4:20 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Very pretty scarf! Good to hear you're still alive and able to knit, at least a little bit. Hope things are going well with the judge.

9/24/2007 10:17 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

your noro scarf came out great. i have so much fun making those. the constant color changes keep it interesting.

9/26/2007 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home