Friday, June 29, 2007

Mahogany Socks

Yaaaay! I finished my Sockapalooza socks!


I was a little worried that I wouldn't finish them before major crunch time for the bar starts in July. As a result, I've been knitting in all my spare time (in the car while GPG's driving, just before bed, whenever the Barbri lecture drags (and maybe when it doesn't . . .)) to get these socks done.

This is the first time I've ever knit socks for someone whose feet weren't substantially the same size as mine, so I really hope they fit. They feel loose on my legs, but my ankles are about an inch narrower than my sock pal's, and her feet are also an inch longer than my feet. So unfortunately, I'll have to wait and see how they work for her, since I have no way to confirm independently that they'll fit. I followed her specs, but I'll still have doubts until I get feedback from her!


Pattern: Undulating Rib from Interweave's Favorite Socks
Yarn: Fleece Artist Merino Sock, Mahogany colorway
Needles: Clover US2 DPNs
Recipient: Sock Pal!
Modifications: US2 needles instead of US4 and US3; short-row heel instead of heel flap

Regarding the modifications: The pattern calls for a cast-on of 66 stitches, which made the suggested US4 and US3 needles seem awfully big to me. I knew that the Retro Rib pattern (also in the same book) has the same number of cast-on stitches, but uses US2 needles, and past experience with Retro Rib tells me that 66 sts + US2 DPNs is just fine. So I gambled and started with US2 needles. I think the resulting socks should be okay in terms of circumference, especially since the pattern is so nice and stretchy with its ribbing.

I also swapped out the heel flap for a short-row heel. I had to do some creative juggling of the placement of the heel because I wanted a purl-stitch gutter on both sides of the instep, and the division of stitches for the instep and heel suggested in the pattern didn't seem to provide that. I also increased by 4 stitches at the heel for a better fit, as suggested by Gleek in her most excellent post on short-row heels.


The yarn was FABULOUS. Fleece Artist Merino sock yarn has officially turned into my favorite sock yarn--it's nice and squooshy and has such beautiful, beautiful colors. I was so enchanted with the Mahogany skein that I immediately cast on for the next pair of socks with the Raspberry sock yarn that I bought at the same time as the Mahogany. It's a wild pink color that reminds me more of lipstick than of raspberries, and everytime I start getting used to the pinkness, I put the sock down, do something else, and look back at it only to realize that wow, it really is wildly, extravagantly pink. I haven't decided if I like it just yet, but knitting with it sure is a dream. Progress pictures of that will come eventually.

In the meantime, though, have a great weekend and a super Fourth of July holiday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

those are beautiful - the color and the pattern. i bookmarked it as "one to do" in the future!

7/03/2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

i'm sure your sock pal will love those, they came out great! i love that colorway.

7/08/2007 4:04 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

BEAUTIFUL socks! I, too, am a die-hard Fleece Artist girl. And I love that colorway... I'll have to be on the lookout for it. Gorgeous.

7/09/2007 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home