Friday, November 30, 2007

A quick recipe run-down

Work has been crazy busy this week, so I haven't had a chance to queue up any pictures for proper knit blogging. A preliminary injunction hearing ate up two days of the week, so I've been scrambling to catch up since then.

Since I have nothing to blog about, I'm linking to recipes. The current free recipe available on Cook's Illustrated website is Beef Stroganoff. I highly recommend grabbing this recipe while it's available. I've made it multiple times and it's delicious, especially if you're willing to shell out a little extra for some good meat. I often double the recipe now so the leftovers last a little longer! (By way of forewarning, I salt and pepper the recipe a LOT more than CI suggests. I think CI recipes deliberately have a light hand with spices to let the cook decide how to season the dish. I think this particular recipe benefits from a lot more S&P than the recipe calls for.)

I also highly recommend this chocolate chip cookie recipe, which I've now made twice in the past two weeks when I needed to make a quick, fast dessert. A few years ago I went on a quest to find The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. After a number of batches, my tasters decided that this one was the best, and now it's my go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Other recipes I've tried since finding this one just haven't measured up.

I use cold butter straight from the refrigerator (instead of softening it beforehand, I cut the butter into chunks and mix it with the sugar until it's properly creamed), and I try to underbake the cookies just a tad. I pull them out of the oven when they're puffy-looking, golden around the edges but still relatively pale on top. Since they're just a hair underbaked, I cool them on the baking sheet for a while (probably 5 minutes) because they're really soft coming out of the oven. Then I put them on wire racks to cool the rest of the way.

These cookies will last for at least two days without getting the stale taste and texture that a lot of homemade cookies do. I don't know if they last longer than that because they're usually all gone by then!

Have a good weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

CI is one of my all time favorite magazines - I learn something new with each issue! I let my subscription lapse, but you've tempted me to start it again!

those cookies - I'm sure they are amazing!!!

11/30/2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

What a coincidence that you're writing about the Beef Stroganoff recipe, because I just printed the recipe from CI's website yesterday. I'm planning to double the recipe as well...I was wondering -- do you slice your beef to 1/2" long and 1/8" wide as suggested? Because that seems awfully small...
Have a great weekend!

11/30/2007 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home