Monday, December 10, 2007

Zeebee!

As promised, here is my Zeebee! My very first FO knit from my own handspun yarn.


Zeebee was surprisingly easy to knit. I had originally discovered the pattern through Brooklyn Tweed. Jared, of course, makes all handknits look beautiful, but I didn't get too enthused about Zeebee at first because it seemed like a fiddly way to make a hat. One of the things I like about making hats is that you can go around and around and around on circular needles: it makes for nice, mindless knitting. I wasn't too keen on doing garter stitch back and forth with short rows thrown in, to boot.

But the pattern seemed like such an ideal way to use handspun yarn that when I had a bunch spun up that I finally thought was of "knit-worthy" quality, Zeebee was a pretty easy choice. And it turned out to be a fast, easy knit--I finished it in two days. Perfect for holiday knitting!


Pattern: Zeebee
Needles: Inox US6 circulars
Yarn: Handspun from Spunky Eclectic, BFL in the "Castaway" colorway
Recipient: The Violinist

I even learned a new technique making this hat: garter stitch grafting. I've grafted things in stockinette stitch plenty of times, but garter stitch grafting was new to me. It took me two tries before I got it through my thick skull that "knit, purl, knit, purl" was the correct order of stitching with the needle. There's a slight bump at the brim of the hat, but otherwise the hat looks seamless. Yay!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Oh my, Esther!!! I love your beautiful hat!

12/10/2007 12:31 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Zeebee is so perfect for handspun. I've made a few and they are among our favorite hats.
Yours is beautiful!

12/10/2007 8:02 PM  
Blogger twellve said...

what a great looking hat! think your handspun complements the pattern very well.

12/11/2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger GrammaKnits said...

I'm so proud of you! Your hat looks wonderful. I can't believe that you're giving away your first handspun though. As lumpy bumpy as my mittens are, I don't think I could part with them - sentimental value. See you soon!

12/16/2007 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home