Friday, December 28, 2007

Look, Ma! I'm spinning!

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season! Life here at Chez Seedless Grape has been sort of all over the place over the past two weeks, but things have evened out heading into the New Year and I am ready for 2008! (Sort of. I'll admit that the rate at which the years pass by is starting to make me feel old. Or at least old-ish.)

Work was uncommonly busy the week before Christmas, so I was running around like a headless chicken. Then the Christmas weekend came around: *yank on the handbrake* [screeeeech of brakes]! I completely dropped all work for four days straight (how luxurious!). I slept in every day and spent most of my free time knitting like crazy to finish a pair of socks for my grandma and a present for a friend (who reads this blog, so no details here). I had a great holiday! I hope you did, too!

Unfortunately, I ended up finishing a lot of the gifts I gave away at the last minute, so I didn't even get to document them properly for the blog! I kind of feel like they almost never existed: a pair of felted oven mitts, a pair of Fetching mitts, a lot of Christmas ornaments, a scarf. One of my 2008 resolutions is to be better about documenting my knits and my cooking.

Since I have no actual FO photos at the moment, I'm using some photos that Theresa kindly sent me. Two weekends ago I went over to her house to learn how to spin on her Lendrum DT wheel! Of course, I forgot my camera, but Theresa had hers and snapped a few pictures.


Squeeeeeee! It was so much fun. Now I want a wheel!

I think I fell into the beginner trap of gripping the fiber too tightly. I definitely killed the baby bird--see my white knuckles??? My hand was pretty sore the day afterwards! But I assume that sort of thing corrects itself with practice.


I used some wool roving from Spunky Eclectic in her grand opening sale colorway. I love how brilliantly the colors spun up.


I spun up some singles and will head back to Theresa's in a week or two to learn how to ply them. Whee, spinning on a wheel is so much fun! I still enjoy spindle spinning, but the speed of the wheel really beckons to me. I had a laugh when Theresa's husband came home and I told him, "Look, James! I'm spinning!" He responded, "You might as well be saying, 'Look, James! I'm doing crack!'" I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one.

More spinning excitement to come shortly. In the meantime, have a great weekend and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 Comments:

Blogger twellve said...

beautiful spinning! looks like a lot of fun (bet i'd do it too tightly, too. i seem to be a tight knitter/crocheter).
here's to 2008!

12/28/2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Yay, your yarn looks awesome!
So when are you getting a wheel? :-)

12/28/2007 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home