Monday, January 07, 2008

Elegant Cable Rib Socks

This was my last FO of 2007, but I've only now gotten around to cleaning up the pictures and posting them. I had promised my grandma a pair of socks a long time ago last year, and by God I was going to give her a pair of socks. I knit madly on these all throughout the Christmas holiday weekend and managed to mail them off so she'd get them before New Year's.


Sport weight yarn + size 5 needles + small feet + easy pattern = fast socks, which was exactly what I needed. I would have preferred to have given her some intricate socks made with regular fingering weight yarn, but I just didn't have time for that at the end of the year. I can make her some nicer socks this year.


Pattern: Elegant Cable Rib Socks from Interweave's Favorite Socks
Yarn: Fleece Artist sport weight ("Merino 3/6") in the "Beet" colorway
Needles: Brittany Birch US5 DPNS
Recipient: My Grandma
Mods: You can't tell from the photos, but I didn't make knee-high stockings, as the pattern calls for. I made regular length socks because a) my grandma is not a knee-high socks kinda gal, and b) I didn't have time to make knee-high socks. Since the leg was relatively short, I continued the cable rib pattern onto the instep instead of reverting to a regular 2x2 rib, like the pattern suggests, just to keep the sock visually interesting (for both recipient and knitter).

The pattern was easy to memorize, but I think it looks great. I will definitely knit it again, maybe with smaller yarn and needles. I also love the yarn--Fleece Artist has a special place in my heart.

Hope 2008 is treating everyone well so far! Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Very pretty! I love the color, and they look warm and squishy!

1/07/2008 10:37 AM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

They look lovely!

1/07/2008 1:26 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

those are beautiful! i love the color!

1/07/2008 7:02 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

very pretty - that yarn shows the pattern wonderfully!

1/09/2008 9:27 AM  
Blogger kelp! said...

I love the color of that yarn! Must... find... beet yarn!

But the people really want to know - did you get your wheel?

1/14/2008 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home