Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I got through the tunnel, and wow, it's bright out here!

Where are my sunglasses?!?!? I'm blinded!

It's April 1, and it's only fitting that I finally get to post after three of the most exhausting weeks I've experienced in a long while. Wow, it's nice to be back!

As I've mentioned before, I'm currently clerking for a federal judge in Houston. Since federal judges have a pretty sweet deal--life tenure with guaranteed pay--the federal judiciary uses something colloquially called "the six-month list" to make sure judges are processing their cases at a reasonable rate. Basically, every six months a list of shame gets published, listing all the motions that have been pending before each judge for more than six months. Most judges, like mine, try to keep the number of motions on that list down as a matter of pride.

The six months tick off every March 31st and September 30th. In an ideal world, someone working under a six-month deadline would be able to budget her time efficiently and spread out the work so that the last few weeks before the deadline aren't crammed. In the real world, though, people file TRO applications, there are trials, there are emergency motions, etc.: there are a million extra little things that demand attention right away and mess up even the best-laid plans.

To make a long story short: The six-month list is why I sort of dropped into a hole and didn't emerge for three weeks. I have been knitting and spinning here and there, and I have lots of blogging to catch up on, but mostly my life in March was consumed with work. It was sort of awful, and really exhausting, but it's over now (yay!) and "regular" life, with knitting, spinning, cooking, and blogging, should return soon.

And guess what I have to look forward to?


YES! One of the highly coveted Fiddlehead Mitten Kits from Adrian of Hello Yarn. Eee! I'm so excited. I had a really, really frustrating day about a week and a half ago, and to take a break from work, I surfed on over to the Hello Yarn website and saw this kit for sale. I didn't have to think twice: I immediately clicked "buy," whipped out my credit card, and forked over my money.

The yarn is BEAUTIFUL. I love, love, love the colors. I almost don't want to knit up the kit because I think the little skeins of yarn are so cute!

Anyway: regular blogging should return soon. Hope everyone has been doing well!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

lucky you to get a Fiddlehead kit!!!!!!! Reward for those hard working weeks!

4/01/2008 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about you last night because it was the end of March! Yay, glad you survived! And you are definitely lucky to get a mitten kit!

4/01/2008 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home