Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Before

One of my co-clerks got married this past Saturday. She's mentioned before that she'd like to start cooking more often after she gets married, so to get her started, I bought her a red Dutch oven (brand = Tramontina--one of Cook's Illustrated's top-rated Dutch ovens) and made her a pair of matching felted oven mitts. It was hard to get the red just right in the pictures, but it's a nice deep red; hopefully you can imagine it even if it doesn't show up right on your monitor.

Here is GPG's artsy-fartsy rendition of the unfelted mitts:


And here is a plain old documentary-style post, with quarter thrown in for scale:


I only realized as I was preparing the pictures that position of the quarter on the top mitt makes the mitt look a little like a red guppy with a fat lip! The quarter probably doesn't provide much scale, but basically the mitts were big enough almost to reach my elbows when I put my hands in them.

I'm very pleased with the way the mitts turned out post-felting. I fiddled around with the pattern and frogged at least three times before I was satisfied with the position of the thumb and the general proportions of the mitt. Pictures of the felted mitts, plus a pattern (written mostly so I don't forget what I did), will come soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look fab! What a thoughtful gift, and the red is very pretty.

2/26/2008 12:16 PM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

Tramontina! couldn't remember what the brand was and where I read about a good and mostly affordable dutch oven. I love CI's research. Thanks for sparking my neurons ;-)

2/29/2008 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home