Thursday, February 14, 2008

WIP: Endpaper Mitt the First

Waaaay way way way back at the beginning of the New Year, Undyed Yarnpire and I embarked on a two-person knit-along for the famous Endpaper Mitts. I'd had yarn stashed for this project for well over a year. Undyed Yarnpire and I "met cute" on Ravelry; we both had the Endpapers queued up; and eventually we decided to start knitting them together.


Unfortunately, the whole "knit along" concept has sort of fallen by the wayside. At least, it's a little on hiatus. Undyed Yarnpire has been plagued with fit problems and yarn problems. I struggled with the Italian tubular cast-on, and since an amazingly productive burst of knitting when GPG and I went to Steamboat, I haven't had the time to knit a single stitch on this project. In addition, the whole idea of blogging my progress obviously never really materialized: this is my first post on the whole shebang.

Still, posts in general are better late than never. Although I haven't touched the mitt in a while, I'm quite pleased with the progress so far, which is three repeats of the charted pattern, just before the thumb gusset increases begin. I followed the sage advice that Kelp gave me and took out the purl "seam" that runs along the pinky side of the mitt. To do this, I had to rechart the pattern to run continuously around the entire mitt. Now the jog between rounds, plus the small disconnect in the pattern (since the mitt consumes less than a whole number of pattern repeats), are partially hidden at the purl "seam" on the thumb side of the mitt.

The first mitt is currently on hold while I try to knock out some presents, including some felted oven mitts (wedding present) and at least one Baby Surprise Jacket (new baby, obviously). But I'd like to get back to this WIP soon--I really want to block the finished thing and see how my colorwork turns out.

In the meantime, though, Happy Valentine's Day to all!

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

looking good so far! i like the subtle color choice!

2/14/2008 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. They actually showcase what you have done. (And your mitt looks good too.)

Yes, we did rather fall off the wagon in terms of the schedule for working on these. I hate this project so much that just knowing I should be working on it makes everything else seem easy.

My mitt looks really garish in comparison.

2/14/2008 12:10 PM  
Blogger twellve said...

beautiful mitts! was thinking of doing some plain ones, myself, but haven't been knitting much lately.

you are right about the pic on my blog... the ends of the needles are supposed to be eyes. how funny is that?

hope you had a lovely V-Day!

2/15/2008 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home