Thursday, February 28, 2008

After

And here are the felted oven mitts! I loved them and was so pleased with how they came out. I definitely will have to make some for myself in the future!

Hello, we are nice and felty.

I realized only after I had given the mitts away and was preparing these pictures that I probably should have thrown in the quarter again for scale. Oops. The finished mitts came probably 4 to 5 inches past my wrists, just like regular oven mitts should.

As I've said before, it took me a while to figure out the proportions of the mitt. Technically, the top part of each mitt (for the fingers, above the thumb) ended up being longer--i.e., had more rows--than the bottom part (below the thumb). Unfelted, it looked a little strange, unintuitive, and top-heavy. My gut instinct was to make the bottom part longer, because I think of oven mitts covering a good part of your wrists and forearms.


During felting, though, the mitts shrank in size perfectly. I think the proportions are just right, and the fabric is nice and thick. Yay!

Pattern: My own
Needles: 16" US10.5 Inox circular; US10.5 Brittany Birch DPNs
Yarn: 4 skeins Cascade 220 (I don't have the skeins with me, so I don't have the colorway number, but . . . they're red, obviously)
Recipient: Newlywed co-clerk and hubby!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

those are great! what a perfect gift!

2/28/2008 11:42 AM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

They look soo cute!

2/29/2008 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home