Friday, June 20, 2008

Hive

As promised, here's "Hive," the last shipment in the February-April Hello Yarn Fiber Club. Like the Red Velvet fiber, I wasn't organized or disciplined enough to get a photo of the fiber in its unspun state, so you'll have to do with Adrian's picture.

I'll have fond memories of this fiber because I actually spun it in the Japanese Garden in Houston's Hermann Park, which is one of the big green spaces in the city and home to the Houston Zoo. I had a terrible, wracking cold for about three weeks in April and May and wasn't exercising much, so I wanted to get outside and breathe some fresh air before it got too hot. I lugged my Lendrum to the park, found a handy little pavilion in the Japanese Garden, complete with a bench and a roof (it drizzled a bit that day), and sat down and spun up almost the entire batch of fiber.


I was pretty absent-minded when I wound the yarn into a skein, so I don't remember the exact yardage, but I'm pretty sure it's over 200 yards of DK-weight yarn. It was very hard to get the colors exactly right in the pictures, and even now it looks a little oranger in the pictures than it is in real life. But at least you have an idea of how nice and cheerful the fiber is. Spinning it really made me feel like that princess in Rumpelstiltskin who had to spin gold out of straw!



It's 4 oz. of Falklands wool, and although it's not my most consistent spinning effort, I'm very pleased with the finished yarn, which is soft and happiness-inducing. I just have to figure out what to make with it. I think a bright scarf might be the way to go, to cheer up those winter days when the weather is blah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home