Friday, February 24, 2006

More notes on the Upper Crust Bakery

Clearly, the UCB made a big impression on me last weekend, because now I've been there two more times! However, I now have some reservations about it. I think a full opinion on the place requires a bit more research.

The first time, I took the Chairwoman there for breakfast before she left town on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the cinnamon rolls that day were not as good as before. I think they had been pulled out of the oven just a little too early, so they didn't have a nice crisp crust on the outside and they were a bit greasy on the inside. The Chairwoman didn't even finish hers.

Then I went there again today to buy cinnamon rolls for GPG (I'll drive down to Houston after school today) and a sandwich for lunch. I haven't tried the cinnamon rolls yet, so I don't know if they're any better, but the sandwich was decent. The Oatmeal Bread they used was particularly tasty, but the chicken salad was a little bit disappointing. I guess I'm not a fan of chicken salads with grapes in them, since the grapes get soggy and smushy if they've been sitting for too long.

Anyway, I'm still a UCB fan . . . but maybe I won't show up three times in one week anymore.

In other news, I did finally finish the Chairman's birthday present: socks! I don't have any pictures, but at least I can now disclose what they were. I knit them up in KnitPicks Essential black sock yarn--basically, the leftovers from GPG's Christmas socks--and used the "Broken Rib" (?) pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. (I'm not sure about the name of the pattern, but it was just a k3, p3 round alternated with a k1, p1 round.)

Now I'm plugging away at the Violinist's wedding present and I also started a satchel? pouch? bag? from the Handknit Holidays book, basically as a thank-you present for two of GPG's friends from Germany, who sent me a book in the mail. I really ought to start on the second Wyvern sock, but I think I will have to put that on hold for a bit until I get rid of some of these more pressing knitting obligations.

I'll be off to visit GPG for the weekend, but I hope to post something while I'm there or when I get back into town. Hope you have a good weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home