Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Eggplant gloves

Just when it gets to be too warm in Austin for gloves, I finish . . .

A pair of gloves.

Actually, these gloves have been sort of done for a while. I made them out of the leftover eggplant Opal yarn that I used to make my Armwarmers, but didn't get around to weaving all the ends in for a long time. They especially got pushed to the backburner while I was trying to finish up all of GPG's Valentine presents.


Still, regardless of my unwillingness to suck it up and weave in the ends (gloves have so many ends to weave in!), there's no denying that it's been too warm for gloves in Austin for a while now. I will just have to save these babies for next fall/winter.


This past winter, I wore a pair of glittens that I made a little over a year ago out of some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. They are nice enough, but I think the looseness of the mitten top lets my fingers get colder than I would really like when the temperature's down. Also, I wasn't too careful with the thumbs, so they both ended up being a little short. So I decided to try knitting up some gloves and was very careful about making sure all the fingers fit properly. Fitting the fingers is actually harder than it initially seems. I ended up reknitting all the fingers on one of the gloves at least twice.

Pattern: Gloves from Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns
Yarn: Louet Gems Opal, eggplant purple
Needles: Brittany Birch US 5 DPNs
Recipient: Me


The gloves seem warm enough, but they haven't really been put to the test. I may try them out in Japan, since it looks like it will still be a little chilly when we go in a couple weeks. But if the gloves turn out not to be as warm as I hope, at least that will give me some extra incentive to knit up some Anemoi mittens!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home