Thursday, January 25, 2007

Armwarmers!

Armwarmers may be a dorky thing to knit, but I knit 'em anyway. I have a walk of about 15 minutes to get to school, and clothes that may be comfortably warm for just standing around, driving somewhere, or studying at school are way too warm for the actual walk. So I wanted something to keep my arms warm that I could wear with a lighter shirt. I can take them off when I get to school.


I knit these while I was in Germany, but have only now gotten around to getting pictures taken and posted. I am quite happy with how they turned out and am ready to put them into use. Unfortunately, it was a little bit too chilly this morning for me to wear the armwarmers as planned, but I hope tomorrow's weather will be more cooperative.


This is my first self-designed project where I actually swatched and thought long and hard about gauge and fit, and I'm very pleased with this first effort. I had actually wanted to use some of the cable designs from Eunny's Bayerische Socks, and swatched accordingly, but eventually I realized that those cables were too complicated for what I actually wanted and could design. The armwarmers increase from just 40 sts in circumference at the wrist to 88 sts in circumference at the top of the arm, and I'm not yet experienced enough to figure out how to integrate increases seamlessly into such an intricate cable pattern.

So I decided on a very simple 6-st cable, flanked by a P2, K2, P2 rib on either side. Basically, after working the cuff in K2, P2 rib for 12 rounds, I started cabling every 9 rounds and increasing two sts every 6 rounds. The increases aren't so beautiful, but they also aren't totally ugly, either. GPG says they look "organic." I say that GPG is a smooth operator when it comes to commenting on my knits!

Anyway, you can sort of see how I worked the increases in the armwarmer on the right. It's not a great picture, but it's what I have:


I probably didn't need to increase so much, since the armwarmers are just a little loose at the top, but I ultimately increased to a point where the ribbing and pattern looked okay. (For example, I didn't want to stop increasing and start working towards the bind-off with an odd number of stitches for the K2, P2 cuff.) And anyway, the lower parts of the armwarmers are sufficiently snug that they'll stay up on my arms.


They're kind of like Wonder Woman's gauntlets, aren't they? I feel vaguely super-hero-ish when wearing them.

Pattern: My own!
Yarn: Louet Gems Opal in an eggplant purple. Another selection from the stash, although this one is only about a year old. Does that qualify as stash or just a recent purchase? I'm not sure where to draw the line there.
Needles: US 5 Brittany Birch DPNs
Recipient: Me!

Stay tuned to find out (hopefully soon) what I did with the leftover Opal!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Now THAT might be the most perfect Austin knit ever.

1/25/2007 5:04 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Congratulations on designing your own armwarmers! They look awesome

1/29/2007 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home