Sunday, December 31, 2006

Family of hats

I made blue and brown hats for GPG's sister's family for Christmas. She has a husband and two boys, 6 months and almost 3 years. I wanted to knit them something, and hats were the easiest and fastest thing. I had lots of Karabella Aurora 8 in the stash, so I set about designing a few impromptu patterns. These are coming with us to Germany tomorrow.


This hat is for the younger son:


And this is for the older:


The older son's hat is based on this hat from Banana Republic. I first saw the hat on Mighty Goods and scoffed at the price. I don't mind buying store-bought knits in general, but I won't buy things that I know I can easily make for a fraction of the price.

This hat is for GPG's brother-in-law. It was the first one I made and set the tone for the rest:


And this beret/tam is for GPG's sister:


Unfortunately, as you may be able to see in the picture, the K1P1 ribbing stretched out quite a bit after I washed the hat. I didn't know how to get it back to its original elasticity, so I ended up going out and buying some thin elastic cord and threading it through stitches on the inside. Since I'm not sure how big GSister's head is, I cut an extra-long piece of cord so GSister can decide how tight she wants it. I sort of hate giving it to her this way, since it looks so unfinished, but it's better than giving her something too small.

I had a devil of a time figuring out the proportions of the tam. This is actually the third or fourth try, so it's especially frustrating that the ribbing stretched out so much. My head is on the small side, and GPG's head is on the large side, so I tried to get something that would fall in between our noggin sizes. I figured something in the middle would work, since although GSister probably has a bigger head than I do, she is also smaller than GPG.

At any rate, you can see how big the adult hats are on me:


Here is the beret, pre-washing:


And, for comparison, you can see that they fit much better on GPG:


He was being very stern when he modeled the beret. It really isn't very floppy on his head at all.


But he did consent to doing it up like he had to when he was in the German military ten years ago:


Maybe I'll be able to get some pictures of the recipients wearing their hats while we're visiting in Germany.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home