Friday, January 19, 2007

Eye Candy Friday: The Wartburg

I've actually been back from Germany for about a week now, but lazily haven't gotten around to posting until now. For one thing, I was utterly exhausted from the return trip; I didn't sleep very much on the planes, so by the time we actually got home I realized that I had been awake for over 24 hours. For another, I also had some trouble recovering from jetlag (even though traveling westwards is not supposed to be as hard as traveling eastwards), so even though I was tired, I wasn't really getting the rest I needed for quite some time after we got back.

Of course, under these circumstances, the only thing to do was . . . run the Houston Half Marathon on Sunday, right?

Yes, on Sunday I ran the Houston Half Marathon. GPG ran the full marathon--after traveling back from Germany, and with a cold. I don't know how he did it. Anyway, I have some pictures from that, but I was absent-minded and brought my digital camera back to Austin, but not my USB cable. So I don't have a way to access the pictures stored in my camera! I am going back to Houston this weekend, so I can pick it up, and then I'll post pictures of both the marathon and the SNOW that we had in Austin. Yes, SNOW; the weather has been pretty rotten here in Texas this week.

But, I do have this one picture for Eye Candy Friday:


I took this picture at the Wartburg in Germany. The Wartburg is the castle where Martin Luther translated the Bible, a little while after he nailed his 95 theses to the door of the Wittenberg cathedral. We got to see the room where he worked, which included the whale vertebra he rested his feet on.

The castle itself was interesting, but the picture in no way conveys how cold it was on that day. It was horrendously windy and really, really cold, so GPG and I toured the castle, took some photos, and left really quickly.

More Germany pictures will probably show up for more Eye Candy Fridays!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I did not know about the whale vertebra--that is a fascinating detail. Makes me even fonder of kooky ol' Martin.

Great picture--I'll look forward to seeing more. enjoy the thaw-out down there!

1/19/2007 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home