Monday, September 25, 2006

All's well that ends well.

The clerkship saga is over. It has actually been over for about four days now, but I'm still recovering from the ordeal and am only now getting around to blogging about it.

I don't want to go into detail on the Internet, but suffice it to say that I will be clerking for the very same judge that I interned for last summer! And I am very happy about it, for a whole slew of reasons.

First, I actually received an offer from this judge fairly early on in the whole clerkship interview frenzy, so I was saved the trouble of having to travel all over God's green earth to meet with judges. I did end up traveling to Chicago and had a very amicable interview with the judge there on Thursday morning. But by that point, I was off the clerkship market, so to speak, so I spent the rest of the day visiting the Shedd Aquarium, which is the largest indoor aquarium in the world, and the Field Museum, Chicago's natural history museum.

I had a great time. The Shedd was really something else. Although I breezed through it relatively quickly, I saw a seahorse, sea dragons, a sea turtle, a giant anaconda (that is MUCH bigger and longer than the picture in the link would have you believe), ghostly moon jellyfish, penguins, really playful Alaskan sea otters, Pacific whitesided dolphins, and Beluga whales with a two-month-old calf! And lots of other things, too. I would really like to go back again when I'm not gussied up in a suit and heels.

The Field was also quite impressive, although I was getting tired by the time I made it over there and my feet hurt a LOT from standing and walking in heels all day. There was a really well done traveling exhibition on King Tut, which I liked a lot. And in general I was very impressed with all the exhibitions I saw, which were not very dumbed down as they often are in other museums. I wish that I had not been so tired and footsore, because you could spend a lot of time in both the Field and the Shedd.

Anyway, going back to the clerkship thing, I'm also very happy about my new clerkship because it means that I will be in Houston with GPG next year. We had been prepared to do the long-distance thing for another year in the event that I got a clerkship somewhere else, but in all honesty, I am glad we don't have to do that now. By the time the clerkship would be over and we would move to L.A. together, we would have been together for SEVEN years without really living in the same city for more than a few months at a time. As things stand now, we will be able to be in the same city, finally, after only SIX years. That is much better, in my opinion. Sometimes it doesn't seem like much, but a year can be a really long time.

And, of course, lastly I am very happy about the clerkship because the Judge is a fabulous judge and I will have a great experience working for her. I know I will learn a lot, and I feel pretty blessed to have another chance to work in her chambers. The Judge doesn't usually hire previous interns to be clerks, so I feel very fortunate that she didn't follow her normal practice with me.

So now I am trying to catch up on a lot of lost sleep (I had a short night the night before my Chicago interview, and then the next day I had to wake up at 3 a.m. to catch my flight back to Houston) and a lot of school work. Although the actual interviewing process itself was not so bad, the traveling really took a toll on me, and I'm still short on sleep. Moreover, 3L ennui has properly set in, now that my life is more or less settling down, and I find it difficult to get any real work done. All I really want to do is sit at home, bake cookies, and knit!

At least I was able to pick up GPG's little Olympus camera while I was in Houston for a bit after my Chicago trip. (GPG got his SLR a couple weeks ago and is turning into a veritable shutterbug!) I hope to start posting pictures about all the knitting going on sometime this week!


Post a Comment

<< Home