Sunday, November 27, 2005

Yukon ho!

Wow, I can't believe it's been a whole week since my last post. This has been my biggest lapse yet. Well, I'll attribute part of it to studying and part of it to Thanksgiving. Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving holiday!

My holiday was fantabulous. A very kind and generous friend of mine, whom I'll call Boll Weaver after the yarn and weaving shop she opened years ago in California, invited me and GPG over to have Thanksgiving dinner with her and her daughter. GPG and I made the mashed potatoes, plus fruit salad and vegetable salad . . . but our contributions are pretty measly compared to the feast that Boll Weaver made. Turkey, fresh cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and two kinds of pie--ALL FROM SCRATCH. Even the dinner rolls, which looked so perfect I couldn't believe it. That meal was heavenly, and I ate a ton. Two major helpings of everything, plus coffee and pie afterwards. I can't stop raving about it. Now I want to learn how to make a turkey so I can have turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy ALL THE TIME. YUM.

I ate so much of Boll Weaver's good, good food in part because GPG and I went for a 10-mile run earlier in the afternoon around Town Lake. I know that 2 times in 2 years does not a tradition make, but we had run 10 miles before Thanksgiving dinner last year, so we did it again this year. Ostensibly, this is all in preparation for the Houston marathon in January, but I'm even farther behind in my training this year than I was last year, when I bumped down to the half marathon. I think I'll try to run the full one this year, but that means a ton of running for me after I'm done with finals on Dec. 19.

Anyway, I'm just taking a break from studying to profess my undying love for Yukon Gold potatoes, which make the BEST MASHED POTATOES. EVER. According to the fine folks at America's Test Kitchen, they tested all different kinds of potatoes and found that Yukon Golds make the best mashed potatoes. So that is what I bought to make the MP for Boll Weaver's lovely dinner. (Well, really, I only boiled the potatoes; GPG mashed them. And he did a beautiful job.) And you know what? ATK is right. Yukon Golds make amazing mashed potatoes. And the recipe is so simple and so delicious that I even made some more last night. Really, here's all you do:

Cut up 2 lbs of YG potatoes into 1-2" chunks.
Put in pot; cover with water; bring water to boil.
Boil potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork; drain.
Mash potatoes (ATK recommends putting them through a ricer, but I don't have one) with 4-6 Tbs butter and a cup of warm milk.
(I guarantee that they'll taste better with closer to 6 Tbs of butter than 4 Tbs. And, soy milk seems to work just fine.)
Salt and pepper to taste. Don't skimp.
And, GPG's secret: throw in a pinch of sugar at the end, stir, and let sit until ready to serve.

It's heaven in a bowl. Throw on some turkey and gravy and you're set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home