Friday, May 11, 2007

I've been hiding something from you . . .

I've been hiding a variety of things from you, actually. I guess that's what happens over a blogging hiatus. I'll reveal everything gradually, but first, a confession.

I may have jumped on the miter wandbagon(just scroll down on that last link--if you don't already read that blog, that is!):


But not just any miters. Heathen Housewife miters.

I cottoned on to the amazing blanket that Shelly is making after the Yarn Harlot showed Shelly's progress in a write-up of her visit to Chicago. I was quite enamored with the blanket, and thought to myself, "I have sock remnants! I'd like a blanket! Let's start mitering!" (I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to figure out the direct link to an actual picture of the blanket. You'll have to scroll around on Shelly's website--she has lots of progress pictures everywhere.)

The good news is that the miters are nice little projects. I can usually finish one in a day. I used the tutorial that Shelly posted on the right-hand side of her blog, and I'm using US3 needles with a cast-on of 31 sts.

The bad news is that I definitely don't have enough sock yarn. I'm proud to look through my yarn remnants, remembering the socks I made with each yarn and realizing that I've knit my fair share of socks, but I have nowhere near enough to make an actual blanket. Shelly got the Yarn Harlot to ask for sock yarn donations. I won't reach to such great lengths, but my lack of sock yarn means that the blanket will probably be a very long-term, back-burner project.


But I'll stick with it because I love the idea of a multi-color blanket made of bits of the socks I knit for other people. It's even making me consider knitting with other colors that I wouldn't usually use, just so the blanket is more balanced in color. It's also lighting a fire under me to knit through my sock stash, just to create new remnants to make new miters from!

There are only eleven, but I love them, anyway. Each one represents a special sock!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to send you the leftover yarn from the sockapalooza socks I'm knitting you.

5/11/2007 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you like my leftover sock yarn? I can send it to you! I've just been storing it in a bag inside a Rubbermaid container.

5/11/2007 12:51 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I think you might have convinced me to start one myself!

5/14/2007 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home