Monday, April 03, 2006

"Knitting improves surgical dexterity."

Did anyone see Grey's Anatomy yesterday? Both Meredith and Izzie were KNITTING! I was quite pleased to see that. I wonder if it really does improve one's dexterity. Perhaps it does, but I am such a klutz in general that I am probably not a good test subject to test the hypothesis. Anyway, I'm glad to see that knitting is getting primetime exposure on Grey's Anatomy.

I took a break from school work this past weekend to have a very nice time with GPG. We made waffles with my new waffle maker on both Saturday and Sunday, and gradually we are figuring out what the best recipe is. The recipe has evolved thusly so far:

Combine
1 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1 T. sugar

Combine
2 T butter, melted and cooled
1 egg yolk
1 scant cup buttermilk
1/2 t. vanilla

Whip up
1 egg white, until it holds soft peaks

Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, then fold in the whipped egg white. Voila!

Yesterday evening I also tried out a new chili recipe that I got from Probative, another law student here at UT. It was surprisingly simple to make and I brought some of the results to school today for lunch. The verdict? Probative's chili is probably the best first attempt I've ever had with a recipe! It turned out quite well and now I have a lot more to keep myself fed throughout this week. Here's what I did:

Rinse
1 can black beans
and season with Pinto bean seasoning in a crock pot

Season
1 lb ground meat (I used ground turkey)
with
Salt
Pepper
1/4 t. cumin
1 1/2 t. chili powder

Saute
1 onion, chopped, until translucent; then
Add
Seasoned meat

Once the meat is browned, take the pan off the heat and throw in
1 t. minced garlic

Throw the frying pan contents into the crock pot with the beans and add
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can corn

And "season the heck out of it" with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Probative suggests maintaining a 1:6 ratio of cumin and chili powder.

I let the chili cook overnight at the "Low" setting and it was ready by the morning. Yum!

Anyway, enough with the recipes. That was the weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home